Saturday, August 19, 2017

Opening Night for Glengarry

It wasn't perfect. There were some speed bumps. The good news is that none of the derailed the show for long, and all of the important plot information was delivered as it needed to be delivered. We got through it, but my preference is to not have to experience something like that again during the run, of course.

A good house, as well. It's a small venue, with varying seating designs depending on the show. But my friend, the executive director said that no opening night in the space has drawn that many people, both walk-ins and reservations. So that was certainly a plus. Receptive crowd as well. A few laughs. (Though I have always questioned this play's being officially listed as a comedy by the publisher.)

There are some shows for me that need two opening nights, as it were. The first is the real one, of course. The second opening, that is to say, the second night of the show, (which I'm about to head over to) is at some times the "real" opening for me. Horribly undescriptive title, but in essence in means that this show was in desperate need to get itself out in front of an audience, so that a few last minute rhythms and such could be established. You can't always know how a play is going to feel before you actually have people, and this play in particular falls into that category.

More rehearsal time would have helped. Maybe another week. But we had what we had, we officially showed to ourselves that we could get through the play in front of an audience, and now, tonight, in a sense we "truly" open. An audience is no longer novel to this production, and we can, if you will "get down to work." Not that we haven't been working, but I think I've made my point on this.

Plus as I have said often, first Saturday crowds are often the best around here, and anywhere else. So we may be in for some good feelings tonight in this otherwise depressing show about not-so-nice-people.

No comments: