Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Audition News

Last night I went to an audition held by the Montgomery Playhouse, in Gaithersburg, Maryland.

The company has two venues, neither of which I had been to before last night. The audition I attended was at the
Gaithersburg Arts Barn facility. The play was The Sisters Rosensweig.

I knew next to nothing about the play a few weeks ago. Since then I had done some research into it, and of course at the audition there was a summary for us to read.

I cannot say I was nervous, but there is always a small degree of tension when I explore something new. It was not, however, as bad as it could have been; there were only two people trying out last night. Total. Me, and one other guy.

The producer mentioned that the previous night there had been at least ten people trying out. In a total reversal of what I am used to at the community theatre level, we were told not enough women had tried out. At least, not enough of the proper age. So, the director confessed, they were having difficulty, at that point, casting the show.

Yet, I read, as did the other guy. Each of us the same parts. "Nick", "Tom", and "Geoffrey" are all British, and since I have "cockney" on my resume, I was asked to try that for one of the characters. I never expected to, so I did not get to really warm up. I was a little rusty, but it was there. Not as good as I can be though, with more practice.

I then read for a middle-aged, tactless, elitist Englishman. I think that went better. Dialogue seemed more natural to me, personally, and I think i did better with my, "generic upper class" English accent than I did with my cockney.

Finally, I read for Geoffrey. A flamboyant type. Bi-sexual. Who, in the scene I read for is dancing about in turquoise underwear. (I know.)

I felt I did ok, though i forgot to use an accent that time. It would seem, however, that whatever happens, that was the reading that made the biggest impression on the casting committee. I heard several laughs. This of course, in and of itself does not mean anything. I only mentioned it because it is hard not to notice when you get more of a reaction from the people around you.

And that was that. The director is not sure when she will know anything, as she has the problem with finding enough of the right aged women.

The other guy I read with complimented me on my reading as we left the lobby. (The stage itself was not available for the audition, so I did not see it.) So all and all, i feel confident that I did the very best audition I was capable of doing. Furthermore, I thought I was given a fair chance to showcase what I could do. (Which sadly has not always been the case with some other community theatres that I have never gotten a role in.) Therefore, I cannot complain at all about the experience.

I have no feeling one way or the other about my chances. It could go either way. But that would be all right. It would be gratifying of course to be selected, but the main purpose of this audition was to break some ice with a new theatre group, and meet a few new people. This I was able to do, and the next time I try out for one of their shows, i will be more familiar with their procedures.

The chance to do so may come soon, in fact. They have auditions for something once every 6 weeks or so until the end of 2008. If I do not get into this play, I will probably give another show there a try.

Interesting trivia fact. I read for characters named "Nick", "Tom" and "Geoffrey". I have previously played characters in other plays by all of those names. In the case of Nick and Tom, twice. Once even with a cockney accent, as I did for this reading. Weird.

No comments: