Wednesday, April 22, 2009

No Excuses

For being this delinquent, loyal blog readers. Life outside of the world of theatre sometimes has a way of catching up with me, and that puts me off my writing game. But I am here with a sort of omnibus update.

To begin with, my work on the one man show I mentioned is going well. I still do not want to reveal which one man show it is, because I fear that by doing so before i know if I can perform it might cause problems. It is a very interesting experience so far though, and I plan to comment on it in more detail in future entries this week.

I would say I have about 25 minutes of the piece committed to memory. I go over that section every day, and want to have it pounded into my head before I move on to the next section.

Later in the summer, I may be taking the uncommon step of working backstage. Something I have not really done exclusively in a show since college. But a friend of mine is doing an production of the non-musical version of Beauty and the Beast, (at the Full Circle Theater Company) and if my schedule permits, I should like to get some backstage work under my belt. Just to polish up a few techie skills in case I need them in the future.

That sort of experience also helps out when directing a show, which I hope to do again in the future.

I will also be auditioning for Romeo and Juliet, which another friend of mine will be directing this summer. I am hopeful about that show, because if I do get a role it will be the first Shakespearean part I have played since the awful, (and best left forgotten) Shakespeare play, Love's Labor's Lost. I need to prepare a classical monologue. I have a few in mind. I will be discussing that in the coming weeks as well, but I have a good amount of time on this one; it does not audition until June.

That is where I am for now. In a sort of limbo at the moment. A sea of in-between if you will. But I can see land in various directions. It will just take a bit of time before I get there.

Yet there is much open to me in the coming weeks. Check back here for updates on that, and I will do my best to keep these updates coming far more often than I have this month. (Particularly in regards to my one-man show experiences.)

No comments: