Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Prep Work

I swung by the library today and picked up a copy of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. Even though I will be getting my own private copy next week at the first read-through, (more on that in a moment), I wanted to get a bit of a head start.

Hamlet of course is a small role in this play, and I knew that going in. Now that I have looked at the script, however, I am mildly disappointed that certain of his line's did not make it into this script. Actually there is only Hamlet line in the original that could have made it into this script which I miss. "I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth..." and so on. It is delivered directly to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in Hamlet, so I figured at least part of that speech was bound to be in there. It isn't.

The script does contain, however, another line of Hamlet's that, though not as famous, is one that I enjoy. Ironic that in the original it is not spoken in front of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, but in this arrangement it is. He tells Polonius, who is taking his leave,  "You cannot, sir, take from me anything that I would more willing part withal." I always liked that line. It will be fun to deliver, especially if I do not like the actor playing Polonious. (I don't yet know who has that role,  but I do know there is a gentleman in the cast with whom I do not get along.)

As for the rehearsal process, it is going to be a shorter but more intense schedule than most standard shows. We will have just over four weeks, and rehearsals will be on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and occasionally Saturdays. I will not have to be at all rehearsals for a few weeks, as it will be broken down by scenes. As of yet the final schedule has not been determined, though the first read through with the cast will take place this coming Monday, June 6th.

Based on the email list sent out by the director last week, I discovered that several people I know are in this play, but again in what capacity I don't yet know. I have a few guesses.  Two of them I have not been in a play with since my very first post-college production nearly eight years ago. So it is bound to be fun and interesting either way.

Get ready to check back more often than weekly for a while,  loyal blog readers. It is show time again.

No comments: