Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What Plays May Come

I'm in. I was cast in the Full Circle Theater Company's production of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, in the role of Hamlet.

Despite Hamlet being, in this play, a small role, I am quite excited about it. I have not yet read the entire script, but from what I understand, all of Hamlet's brief appearances in the play consist of actual Shakespearean lines. So while my stage time will be brief, what time I have will still be the Prince of Denmark. That alone should make it extra fun, I would think.

I don't yet know when rehearsals begin, as I believe the director is still coming up with the schedule. Nor as of yet do I know who else is in the play with me. I can only assume of course that at least some of the people with whom I auditioned a week ago today will be in the play, but I suppose I cannot be sure. I could have asked, but I didn't. I will find out soon enough. I do hope that there is a mixture of new and familiar people in the cast.

I predict that this will be a well attended production, though. I don't want to jinx us of course, but this play is a rather popular one among many of my local friends. And indeed among Shakespeare fans even though it is not Shakespeare itself. And since it will take place in the summer. (First and second weekends in July), there should be many people with a lot of free time.

I myself have only seen bits and pieces of the movie version here and there, and have never read the script front to back, but based on my research, and the audition cold-reads, I can certainly understand it's appeal to certain types. Probably a play I would enjoy watching, if I were not already in it. This is just the first theatre around here that has mounted a production of it, and I was told by a friend that the movie is not a good adaptation. Hence, I have not seen it in its entirety.

This should be a especially fun production, I feel. I always look forward to starting a new show, but thus far this one fills me with a keen anticipation.

No comments: