Today was the first meeting for my cast and I. Right off the bat I confessed to both of them that I was somewhat nervous, wearing two hats for this show. I feel better now though. I am not totally over it, but now that the first meeting has taken place, I am somewhat more at ease.
I have worked with both of these actresses before. In fact, a year ago three of us played in the same one-act for the same festival. So we each play off of each other well. That is a blessing that offsets that unusual nature of the other stuff.
It went so well in fact that I honestly do believe we will have enough time to rehearse. Previously I was somewhat apprehensive about that. I knew we could do it, but it felt crunched before. After the reading however, I felt like there was more breathing room.
Once I determined how long it would take it to read the show, (about 20 minutes), I came to realize we could easily go over the whole play twice per session. Right now, that will add up to 5 run throughs of the show before tech week, plus the 4 run throughs during tech week itself. Math majors out there have already determined that this gives us 9 chances to run the show, top to bottom before we open. With this group, that sounds like more than enough.
Our next rehearsal is scheduled for a week from tomorrow. I will be perusing the text even more, seeing what sort of nuances I can pick up on, and maybe send them an email later in the week with some thoughts.
Off we go.