Sunday, November 29, 2009

Christmas Carol Reading, Part 2

Well, the theatrical adventure with the quickest turnaround ever for me. (All rehearsals and both presentations within one week's time) is concluded.

I have to admit that I am somewhat disappointed in this one. The audience was only a handful for both nights combined, and we didn't really have much of a chance to give extra nuances to our voices, as I would have liked. I love the story, and was happy to be working with some of my friends again, but even I sometimes find it hard to enjoy something when nobody comes to see it.

Last night we had about 6 people that were not connected with the show itself, or family of same.

The sound effects worked better last night I can say.They were much quieter, and didn't drown out the actors. Plus there were not surprise announcements of the time in the middle of the show. So at least there was that.

As for me, I did what I had to do with the reading. I repeated the added flourish at the end with Bob Cratchit that I mentioned in my last entry, but to little or no reaction from the tiny audience.

I didn't see the scarf I had worn the previous night for Cratchit, so I went without last night. Which is just as well, as I was the only person with a costume piece the first night anyway. I felt a bit out of place using it.

Given that I work hard at establishing a reputation as a good blogger, one would think I would be able, and in fact should find a way to, write a more extensive description of both last night, and the whole experience. Sadly, however, I must confess that I can't. There really is not much more to tell about this reading.

I will say that perhaps the script as is is too verbal to be enjoyed by most modern audiences. (I saw the glazed looks of most of the small audience both nights.) I myself enjoy hearing the words of Dickens, but I think they may be too thick for a presentation like this. (By words I mean the narration.)

Or maybe it was just bad timing or some other intangible. Who can say?

Either way, it is in fact another theatrical experience under my belt, even though it was not a play.

My thoughts now bend towards "Bedford Falls", as I prepare for the "It's a Wonderful Life" radio play.

No comments: