Friday, February 26, 2016

Actual Final Rehearsal

There were no visitors to our rehearsal last night, so it wasn't a "preview" per se. But we did run it in "real time" with no stops, corrections or questions.

I think it went pretty good. I won't say it was stellar, but it wasn't horrible either. Naturally you always want to do better each time you perform, but truth be told if we do know worse in front of an audience than we did in our final rehearsal, we'll be in solid shape.

The biggest surprise was the time; It took us just over an hour to complete all three shows. It had been taking us that long to complete just the single longest show out of the three. I'm not sure what made the performance time so much faster. We must not have been rushing, as the director didn't tell us so afterward. I guess it all just fit together that way. If we can keep that pace in front of audiences, that will be a plus.

I did well last night, no major mistakes. None from anyone else either, from what I could tell. I think I had to cover for some minor issue late in one of the plays, as it seemed like a line was dropped. I knew my line was in the near future, so I just went with it, and I don't think the scene was any worse for the wear. It happens.

The short time between final dress and opening night can be an interesting experience. There is no more rehearsing, so in one sense pressure is off. Of course the next time you run the show, it's the real thing, for which you have been rehearsing all this time, and in that sense more pressure is on. It's a relief and an excitement at the same time when you're in this short limbo. It's even odder because most of the day leading into opening night, you're off doing your regular Friday thing, and don't have much time to think about it. (Working from home, I have a lot more than most people, though.)

Not that I'm obsessing over tonight. I want us to get it right. I want people to come see it, and I have been going over a few things mentally here and there, as I will certainly do at the theatre tonight. But truly, it does no good to overthink things at this point. In fact, in most plays, I'm already on automatic by about halfway through tech week if not earlier. This is one of the few times where opening night has arrived and I don't feel automatic. Prepared, yes, but not in the same way as usual. It will be fine, but different.

A show can improve from one official performance to the next. I get the feeling this will be one of those shows. Yet to a large degree, the show is what it is as of last night. That is another dichotomy- it's scary and comforting at the same time.

Eight hours and counting until we open.

No comments: