Sunday, April 09, 2006

Snicker Slut

The title is by request from some of my cast mates, who were having a discussion at dinner after the show. I hope they never say I don't love them.

This was our best performance of the run so far, and in all likelihood will not be topped by tomorrow's closing matinee. The crowd was large and responsive, everybody was right on target, and there were no mistakes of any significance. For my part, I added a bit more non-vocal things tonight as I was fed by the energy of this crowd. It must have worked because I got more laughs tonight than I have at any other previous time.

The Gabriel Blow dance number felt the best to me out of any time it has ever been done. I speak only as one cog in that machine of course. For what it is worth, however, I have never had more fun doing it.

I was a tad less immersed in my own personal melancholy before the show than I was last night. That by itself made the start of things different than they were last night. Nonetheless I was still a bit more standoffish before the show than I was last week and earlier this week. That may have contributed to the extra nuance of my performance as well.

All and all, an excellent final evening show. I know there is still one more to do, and I will be trying my hardest to make it good, of course. But as any actor will tell you, the final day is it's own species. You are either in a damn hurry to get the show done and out of your life, or you are crying between scenes as you realize you will never do those particular lines with those people again. Plus it's a matinee. So to have the final evening show go so well was a small blessing for me.

To use the director's favorite expression, tonight we had the sparkle.

One day more...

No comments: